Saturday, May 18, 2013

In Bloom!

 After a long hiatus from blogging...

Come take a walk with me around my gardens. 
 My garden gloves are dirty,
 my rubber clogs are full of mud,
and my knees are telling me that is enough for a day or two! 


My front porch has turned out to be my retreat
 in the heat of the day.
It faces the east so gets the morning sun.
Hubby & I both enjoy sitting here & spying on the neighbors
as they pass by.
We live on a private drive, with 17 families having homes here.
My roots are deep, after 33 years in the same place!



Out of necessity, I have become a "lazy" gardener.
Well...not lazy, just not able to bend and twist as I once did.
So, pre-planted containers have become my friend!



For quite a few years, I have told hubby that my goal
was to put out enough perennials that some day
I wouldn't have to plant a thing.
Well, that will probably never happen
as I love the color that annuals bring.
But the only thing I have done to this wall,
 is set out a few pots of Impatiens.
The rest come up each year!


This wall garden is on the north,
 so hosta's & ferns flourish.
I also have several hydrangeas
that will bloom in a few weeks.


Across the driveway is a shade garden under my tree.
This year I have cut way back and am
only putting out a pot or two of annuals out here.
I'm tired of dragging a garden hose around the yard!

The little garden bench was built by my Dad a long time ago.
It really doesn't go with my garden style anymore
 but I can't bear to toss it in the trash.



And in back of my house is my favorite area.
This is what I see from my kitchen bay window!

The little purple flower is a "Jolly Bea" perennial geranium.
I've had it for years & it will soon be covered with blooms
and if kept watered, it blooms all summer!

There is also a pink knock out rose that is loaded with buds!


My Iris...
I wish they bloomed year round!
And...my Mom's bird bath, which I treasure.

Later, daylilies, foxglove, daisies,
& bea balm (Monarda) will bring more color



Patio...a mess!

(Another piece of Dad's handywork..the "wagon")

When we first moved here, we planted a Norweigen spruce
which is a beautiful tree.
But~it has grown out of control & is taking over our patio area.
It brings much needed shade but also takes up much needed space.
(The patio isn't very big)
We are contemplating what to do...have it removed,
or just deal with it.


Last year hubby took the choppers to it
& I have been unhappy with it ever since.
Any suggestions???



And then there is my rusty old gazebo!
(I don't think our son has ever forgiven me for putting that thing
smack dab in the middle of the back yard,
right where his "pitcher's mound" used to be!)



My garden angel was a gift when my mother passed away.
..soon to be 10 years ago!
This has always been sort of a memory garden.



The gazebo is being covered with a climbing hydrangea.
It's blooming now!
Later, there will be Shasta daisies, assorted daylies, Monarda,
butterfly bush, & catmint.


And in the very back of the yard are two mounds,
this one with dogwoods & oakleaf hydreangeas.



A few iris are blooming out here too.
My poor dogwoods have had a struggle to live.
The year I planted them happened to be the year
of the 17 year locus & they just about ate them up!
And our last 2 years of drought have put a lot of stress on them.
But they survived the winter & bloomed for me again this year!



It's a chore to garden.
I'm no longer the 30 year old young lady that moved here those many years ago.
Now I am a grandmother with bad knees
and I am learning I can't do it alone.
We hired two guys to do the weeding and edging for me.
They also hauled & spread 7 yards of mulch (2 dump truck loads!)
and made me a very happy lady!

Now to go make a pitcher of iced tea.
I hear it is going to get up to also 90 degrees here next week!
At least we beat the heat!

8 comments:

Jennifer Grissom said...

I feel pretty good if I can name 5 flowers. Lol We have some pretty bushes here.

Carol Wheeler said...

I love your yard and LOVE, LOVE the gazebo!!! Gene Chavez would be proud!!! Life is too short not to enjoy the beauty of flowers!!!!!

Pamela said...

Your yard and gardens are beautiful, Sheila. I felt like I had a vacation just looking at your pictures.

Karen Walden said...

Looks beautiful! You will never see me posting pics of our yard! Lol... I did NOT inherit your green thumb or love of gardening. ;)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

It's good to see you again, Sheila. I loved the tour of your yard...it's just beautiful! I had to laugh about your son and the gazebo. I think our son's feelings were hurt when finally took down the basketball goal post!

I have a feeling this will be my last year for planting so many flowers in pots. I'm not getting any younger and it is a lot of work! I do enjoy seeing the flowers, but if we have a repeat of last summer's drought, well, I best not think of that!

Have a good week and hurry back to see us!

Peggy B. said...

So pretty!

Pattie T. said...

What a lovely home and garden you have! I doubt anyone would ever know that you weren't still as full of youthful enthusiasm and exuberance as you once were. I like the color of annuals as well, but oh, the deadheading!

~~louise~~ said...

I too have recently returned from a long blogging hiatus. I popped over from Pattie's blog (Olla-Podrida) and I'm delighted I did. Your garden is lovely and yes, the work shows.

Thank you so much for sharing, Sheila...

P.S. I'll be posting garden pictures on Sunday, you're more than welcome to drop by:) Louise